What is this lecture about?
The problem of learning maps is an important problem in mobile robotics. Models of the environment are needed for a series of applications such as transportation, cleaning, rescue, and various other service robotic tasks. Learning maps requires solutions to two tasks, namely basic mapping and localization. Basic mapping is the problem of integrating the information gathered with the robot's sensors into a given representation. It can intuitively be described by the question ``What does the world look like?'' Central aspects in mapping are the representation of the environment and the interpretation of sensor data. In contrast to this, localization is the problem of estimating the pose of the robot relative to a map. In other words, the robot has to answer the question ``Where am I?'' These two tasks cannot be solved independently of each other. Solving both problems jointly is often referred to as the simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM) problem. There are several variants of the SLAM problem including passive and active approaches, topological and metric SLAM, feature-based vs. volumetric approaches, and may others.
The lecture will cover different topics and techniques in the context of environment modeling with mobile robots. We will cover techniques such as SLAM with the family of Kalman filters, information filters, particle filters. We will furthermore investigate graph-based approaches, least-squares error minimization, techniques for place recognition and appearance-based mapping, data association as well as information-driven approaches for observation processing. The exercises and homework assignments will also cover practical hands-on experience with mapping techniques, as basic implementations will be part of the homework assignments.
- Lecturer: Cyrill Stachniss
- Tutors: Rainer Kuemmerle and Nichola Abdo
- Lecture: Mon, 10-12 in building 101, SR 01-018
- Exercise: Wed, 14-16 in building 101, SR 01-018. Exercises start on Wed 31.10.12
- Online Questions and Answers: We will try to answer your questions as fast as possible (not available anymore!).
- The lecture recordings are also available via YouTube.
- Recordings, slides, homework assignments, and additional material will be available via this website.
- Teaching is done in English.
- The lecture is part of the area Cognitive Technical Systems in the CS master program.
In case you need to revisit material about Gaussians or a reference for matrix operations:
- Marginalization and Conditioning of Gaussians (taken from Eustice et al, IROS 05), png
- K. Murphy: Gaussian, pdf
- Petersen and Pedersen: The Matrix Cookbook, pdf
Relevant Literature for the CourseMost of the literature is available as PDF files for free, but not the "Probabilistic Robotics" book. You find it in the TF library.
- Thrun, Burgard, Fox: Probabilistic Robotics, MIT Press, 2005, website
- Springer Handbook on Robotics, Chapter on Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (Chapt. 37 in 1st edition)
- Schoen and Lindsten: Manipulating the Multivariate Gaussian Density, 2011, pdf
- Welch and Bishop: Kalman Filter Tutorial, 2011, pdf
- Julier and Uhlmann: A New Extension of the Kalman Filter to Nonlinear Systems, 1995, pdf
- Thrun, Liu, Koller, Ng, Ghahramani, Durrant-Whyte: Simultaneous Localization and Mapping With Sparse Extended Information Filters, 2004. pdf
- Eustice, Walter, Leonard: Sparse Extended Information Filters: Insights into Sparsification, IROS, 2005. pdf
- Montemerlo, Thrun, Kollar, Wegbreit: FastSLAM: A Factored Solution to the Simultaneous Localization and Mapping Problem, 2002, pdf
- Montemerlo, Thrun: Simultaneous Localization and Mapping with Unknown Data Association Using FastSLAM, 2003, pdf
- Grisetti, Stachniss, Burgard: Improved Techniques for Grid Mapping with Rao-Blackwellized Particle Filters, 2007, pdf
- Stachniss, Grisetti, Burgard, Roy: Analyzing Gaussian Proposal Distributions for Mapping with Rao-Blackwellized Particle Filters, 2007, pdf
- Madsen, Nielsen, Tingleff: Methods for Non-Linear Least Squares Probelms, 2004, pdf
- Grisetti, Kuemmerle, Stachniss, Burgard: A Tutorial on Graph-based SLAM, 2010, pdf
- Grisetti, Kuemmerle, Stachniss, Frese, Hertzberg: Hierarchical Optimization on Manifolds for Online 2D and 3D Mapping, 2010, pdf
- Olson, Agarwal: Inference on Networks of Mixtures for Robust Robot Mapping, 2013, pdf
- Olson, Leonard, Teller: Fast Iterative Optimization of Pose Graphs with Poor Initial Estimates, 2006, pdf
- Grisetti, Stachniss, Burgard: Non-linear Constraint Network Optimization for Efficient Map Learning, 2009, pdf
- Olson: Recognizing Places using Spectrally Clustered Local Matches, 2009, pdf